Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Polka Dot Square - 2018 Updated Version


A few months ago I started a new blanket using the polka dot square pattern that I made several years ago when I first learnt to crochet.  It is still a favourite of mine because the circles are nice and solid and the squares turn out solid and fairly gap free.  I'm not the biggest fan of open lacy crochet so this really appeals to me, I seem to make lots of solid, tight crochet fabric type projects.

In the original squares I striped the circles, giving a bullseye effect, 
(you can see this cushion cover over here if you are interested). 
For this blanket I wanted to use the rather large collection of speckled hand dyed 8ply wool I seem to have accumulated,  there are lots of different dyers work in here, some of these I have dyed myself, but mostly they are from other dyers.  I also had some lovely semi solid hand dyed colours, so they were also included. 




Here is the updated version of the Polka Dot Square pattern..

UK crochet terms -  dc = double crochet   (US sc) 
                                 htr = half treble          (US hdc)
                                 tr = treble                   (US dc)
          slst = slip stitch
  ch = chain

Chains at start of each round do not count as stitches
The circles can start to curl up a bit around the edges, but they flatten out once the background is added.  You can also stagger the increases so the increase points don't all sit on top of each other to  get a rounder circle, as long as you keep the correct amount of single dcs in between the increase 2dcs. 
If you don't like the magic loop at the start you can Chain 4 and join to make a ring and then make the 8 dcs into the centre.


Centre Circle: Using circle colour
Rd 1 : In a magic loop, make 8 dc,  join to first dc with a slst to create first round.  ( 8 sts)
Rd 2 : Ch 1, 2dc in 1st stitch, 2dc in each stitch around, join to 1st dc with a slst. (16 sts)
Rd 3 : Ch 1, 2dc in 1st stitch, 1dc in next stitch, *2dc in next stitch, 1dc in next stitch,* repeat to end of round, join to first dc with a slst.  (24 sts)
Rd 4 : Ch 1, 2dc in 1st stitch, 1dc in next 2 stitches, *2dc in next stitch, 1dc in next 2 stitches* repeat to end of round, join to first dc with a slst. (32 sts)
Rd 5 : Ch 1, 2dc in 1st stitch, 1dc in next 3 stitches, *2dc in next stitch, 1dc in next 3 stitches* repeat to end of round, join to first dc with a slst (40 sts)
Rd 6 : Ch 1, 2dc in 1st stitch, 1dc in next 4 stitches, *2dc in next stitch, 1dc in next 4 stitches* repeat to end of round, join to first dc with a slst  (48 sts)
Rd 7 : Ch1, 1dc in each stitch to end of round, join to first dc with a slst (48 sts)
Rd 8 : Ch1, 1dc in each stitch to end of round, join to first dc with a slst (48 sts)

Background:
Rd 9 : join background colour to any stitch, ch1, *3dc, 3htr, 3dc in next stitch, 3 htr, 2 dc* 
repeat *to* 4 times, join to first dc with a slst.
Rd 10 : Ch1,  *2slst, 2dc, 1htr, 4tr in next stitch, 1htr, 4dc, 1slst* repeat *to* 4 times, join to first slst with a slst.
Rd 11 : Ch1, 1dc in each stitch of the round, making 2dc, in each of the 2 centre stitches of each 4tr corner.  Bind off .


My blanket has 80 squares, and is about a cot size, I haven't added a border yet, but plan to do a simple border of a few rows of dc, and then a final round with a few picots for interest. 

I have heaps of speckled wool left over, so might have to make another one of these, maybe with different coloured backgrounds this time, or maybe a pale blush pink....




It's a gorgeous day here, the sun is shining and a big blue sky is above, I hope its lovely where you are too! 

( It's been a while since I've written up a crochet pattern, so please excuse any mistakes or unclear bits!! ) 

Bye for now! xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

5 comments:

  1. It looks great! Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wondered if that Circle/Square pattern would make a good "scrappy" afghan. You've proved that, yes, indeed it does!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really beautiful! The design makes me think of those Earthship homes that use glass bottle ends to decorate/build the walls. I'm not much of a crocheter (I love the stuff people create using the method, it just isn't my go-to thing.) but I think this would indeed make a great scrappy blanket pattern!

    Much luck with finishing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blanket is looking lovely! You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. another beautiful blanket!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to add your comment, I love to receive comments and read them all, even if I don't get around to responding to you, I am just not that organised!