Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Yarn Along.....


Hello.
I'm joining in with Yarn Along today.  
(Sorry about the poor quality photo, I had to take this after dark)
This week I have been trying to get a few rows done on the stripey blanket so I can update the crochet along.  I'm slowly getting there, I like to have a bit of a chunk done to post on the crochet along, so am madly hooking away most evenings.  Except that this is a time of year when there are lots of things happening in the evenings, eating into my crochet time!  Tonight we had an information night at the high school for Max who is starting there next year, it's the end of primary school for him, and for me the end of 11 years of being involved at that school, quite a milestone.
There is also night tennis finals to play in, award nights, a graduation dinner and various other commitments, all good things to be involved with, but I am missing my down time! 
As my boys would say, first world problems mum. Laugh.

Anyway, back to the yarn along, I have started 'Hidden Empire' by Kevin J Anderson, the first book in a big sci fi series. I think this will be a good one for the summer holidays, it has nearly sucked me in, I need to read a bit more to really get involved.

I enjoy a good sci fi, so if anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them.
One of my favourite sci fi authors is Sheri Tepper, has anyone read her books?  
If you like sci fi and haven't read anything of hers, give her a go, I love her stories!  
She used to publish a  new book each year around my birthday, and Gary would give me a lovely hardcover edition as a present, but I think she might be getting very old now as I haven't seen anything new from her for a few years, I hope she is still alive!


And for something completely unrelated, we had a glorious sunset tonight after a beautiful day, I think tomorrow is going to be very hot, so a bit of slothing in the shade keeping cool might be in order, and very likely a swim in the evening.  Looking forward to it already!
Stay cool if you are in Melbourne.

Have a great day!

14 comments:

  1. Oh I love how colourful your blanket is, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. blankets take so long but deary me i love them!

    i need a reason to be stuck inside doing nothing but blankets for a month!

    barnicles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really read a lot of sci-fi but "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" is one of my favourite books ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE how your blanket looks! It is so pretty and colorful and the different stitches are the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that blanket is lovely. wow.
    and your sunset is marvelous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely to see wonderful sunsets when we are surrounded by flooding! Your blanket is coming along beautifully, and one day I am going to go back to the beginning and do one myself. thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julie, I spy another Catherine Wheel!! Don't read a lot of sci-fi ... think the last could have been "The Day of the Triffids"!! I have my first off to secondary school next year, she is sooooo excited (and excited about her graduation dinner too)!! Stay cool today : -)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Slothing' love it, perfect description of what to do in this hot weather........
    Going to be 39 deg. up in the North East, Summer has arrived with a vengeance.
    Not a Sci Fi reader, so can't help you out there, but what a stunning sunset. A
    lovely way to end the day.......

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your crochet blanket ! I have admired your crochet things on your blog for sometime now. Wish their was more time so I could get a lot more done too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't read sci-fi but I can recommend Weaveworld by Clive Barker, which is other-world-ish! I've read it three times over the past few years, it's a fantastic book and definitely in my top ten.

    Your picture of the sky reminded me of a rhyme that my Nan used to say...Red sky at night, Shepherd's delight, red sky in a morning, Shepherd's warning :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post!

    I might join in the Yarn Along today.....For once I am actually reading something whilst I have a project on the go!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! You could try the dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (They're very famous so you probably know it allready, but if you haven't read it yet give it a go!), or of course the series a song of ice and fire by George R.R. Martin, and if you find the books not pleasant you could always try the HBO adaptation 'A game of thrones' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. your blankets are absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blanket seems to be coming along nicely. I can't wait to see it finished!!
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to add your comment, I love to receive comments and read them all, even if I don't get around to responding to you, I am just not that organised!