Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Crochet along update .....

It looks a bit crooked, but I think it will be fine with some blocking!

Hello!
So I have done a bit more of the mixed stripe blanket.
I finished the 5 rows of hdc, and then decided to do the granny stripes in red and pink.

I know you all probably know how to do the granny stripe pattern, but I will try and explain it just in case you are starting out and are not sure. It is really only the start and end of the rows that are a tiny bit tricky...



( Sc = dc, dc = tr, tr = dtr, )

Granny stripes:
Row 1 : Ch 3, then 3dc in next st,  skip 2sts,  3dc in next st, skip 2sts, 3dc in next st ......and so on to the end of the row. Bind off.( My row did not finish off evenly so I did 2dc in the second last st, and then 1dc in the last stitch, to make a straighter edge)

 Row 2 :Join pink to red 3rd chain, and chain 3, 1dc in gap between the chain stitches and the 3dc clusters, then 3dc between each cluster of the first row till the end of the row . Bind off.
( To finish, I did my last dc into the last st of the row and made sure the stitch count stayed the same to avoid the blanket gaining stitches overall) 

Row 3 : Join red to pink 3rd ch, chain 3, and then 3dc in the gaps between the clusters of the previous row, continue till the end of the row, and finish with 3 dc in the last gap.

here are the ends of each row

After the 3 granny stripe rows, I did 2 rows of hdc.  In the dark blue row, every third stitch I did into the gap between the previous rows clusters. The pale blue row is just hdcs straight across.



Next I am doing a bit of a chevron type stitch.

Pattern: 
(On wrong side) Ch 1,  *1hdc into next st, 1dc into next st, 3tr into next st, 1dc into next st, 1hdc into next st, 1sc into next st ; rep from * to end.......turn.



Change colour for 2nd row..1ch, skip1 st, 1sc into next st (counts as sc2tog), 1sc into each of next 2 sts,  *3sc into next st, 1sc into each of of next 2 sts, over next 3 sts work sc3tog, 
1sc into each of next 2 sts; rep from*.........
....till the last 5sts, 3sc into next st, 1sc into each of next 2 sts, over last 2 sts work sc2tog, turn.

3rd row : as 2nd row.
how to do sc3tog, draw up the first loop of the next 3 stitches...... 
....then yarn over and draw through all  4  loops on hook, decreasing 3sts to 1.





So this is where I am up to at the moment, on the 3rd row of the chevron pattern, next I am going to use the green again to fill in the dips of the chevrons and make it flat again.

Sorry I haven't done that yet to complete this little pattern segment.  I will edit this post and add it in when I am up to that bit!

Of course you can do more granny stripes if you like, (and in your own colours!) or leave them out  completely, but they are one of the patterns that I will be repeating throughout this blanket, and I am liking the chevron wave too, so will be doing more of these too!  

I think once I have done one patch of all the patterns I am going to use, these posts will get shorter as I won't repeat all the detailed instructions, so sorry for this long winded post!  

Anyway, how is your blanket going, are you having fun ?

A few people have been a bit concerned about how the blanket stays straight with all the different patterns, but I think just remember to keep the same number of stitches in each row and it will all work out in the end. ( ie, if we decrease in one row, in the next we increase the same number to keep it all square, hope you get what I mean!)  I am sure it will all be fine!

Ok, I am going to go and hook a few stitches before bed!
Have a great day!

36 comments:

  1. Lovely! Thanks for being so detailed! I am on my 3rd row of hdc. I am thinking of doing 1 more row and then starting into the fun. I don't have a plan just going to wing it and whatever strikes my fancy at the time! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very nice so far. I first found your blog when I was looking for mixed stitch blankets. I am making my own too. I also planned to put ripples on mine just in rainbow colors. :) Please check out what I have so far. mysweetlittleplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's coming along nicely. I think I'll start mine this afternoon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How on earth did I miss you were doing a crochet along! I don't think I have the time to join in right now but I am sure to make one of these as soon as I finish some other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to start the new stitches I did do a few more rows of half trebles and varied the widths at times. I hope the new stitches won't be beyond me - keep your fingers crossed. I have put a link to your "crochet along" on my blog - hope that's ok. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really helpful. Thanks! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beginning to take shape quite nicely. Lovely use of colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great! I think I'm going to try some stash busting with this one since it seems like my yarn is multiplying in the bins!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! I think I'm going to try some stash busting with this one since it seems like my yarn is multiplying in the bins!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great info. I'm trying to teach myself to crochet and appreciate what you've posted. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH! how wonderful! This looks fantastic already! I love this crochet- a- long thing we all have going. I actually have some catching up to do, as I didnt really like the green I started of with so I have decided to start over, with a blue, as you have :) may i ask how long it took you to do the other sripy blanket? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great! I love your colours. Im doing mine in deep jewel tones but I hope it will turn out well. I only have the first couple of rows done so far. Time to catch up :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like it is coming along really well :D I'm afraid I haven't been very good with my square-a-day-knitting! You look like you are making good progress, though. I have a feeling my blanket will be ready for next winter's chills...
    Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the great tutorial. I love your colour choices :-) PS. Did you know that if you follow spotlight on Facebook today's post came up with your granny square crochet cat softie. They had their Pinterest link and a photo of your cat. I hope you get a lot more followers as your crochet work is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Julie, I'm a bit slow on the up-take, but I'm joining in!!
    Have been sorting through my little stash this morning and am very excited by my colours!!
    Now to play catch-up. Thanks so much for doing this, it's going to be a hoot : -)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well I haven't been online much so I missed this but I'm now looking around me to see which yarns I might have so I can join in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your blanket and I am up to date and ready for more. Thank you for all the trouble you are going to. I am a lefty but so far no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi ,I have only just stared to crochet and am doing the Granny Stripe blanket. This seems more like 'big girl's work to me but 8I am enjoying looking along and hope that one day....when I grow upI will be able to do this so I've joined your followers so that I can keep watching! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great pattern-mix, looks wonderful in these colors!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi I was wondering if you can let me know if you are using English or US terms? I thought it was English, but the HDC threw me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was soooo impressed with your mixed colour/stitch blanket from a previous post, that I was inspired to make a baby blanket for a family friend who is expecting a baby girl in January. I used Patons 100% cotton double knit and it has turned out beautifully. I also incorporated your star stich pattern too using the tutorial link that your posted. I found that as long as I maintained the same number of stitches after completing a pattern row, or righting myself on a SC row, then the blanket stayed quite straight on the edges. Thank you so much for sharing your inspiring ideas. I feel really proud of what I have produced. How do I go about sending over an email piccie to you? All good wishes Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can't wait for the next lot of rows! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mine is coming along very quick. My colors are looking like the rainbow. I am just going through whatever my eyes catch. I found you by my friend Debi:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gosh, I am getting butterflies in my tummy (in a very good way) just looking at this!! I so wanna join!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wauw! I really loved your big colorful blanket! I already was looking for a new project. Last year I made a baby blanket for my new born son, all blue. My daughter also want a blanket made by me, but when she was born I couldn't crochet yet. now I can make something really girlish. I'm looking forward to start this blanket! I hope I can find the time this weekend.
    Thank you so much for sharing your talented ideas en designs.
    Charlotte
    I put a link to your blog on mine, I hope that's ok with you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Jules,
    This evening I started with my blanket. Suddenly I have this question and I can not find the answer to it. I hope you can help.
    My question: Do you turn at the end of each row? Or do you begin each row on the same side?
    I hope you understand what I mean. When I made my granny stripe blanket I turned after each row. I don't even know for sure if it's important but because I don't know yet which stitches you are going to throw in I'm in doubt.
    Thank you very much if you find the time to answer me!
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Jules,

    I'm very excited about this blanket. I fell in love with your other one. LOVED it. Can you please tell me how many colors of yarn you are using. It will help to follow you as closely as possible, as I have been known to get mixed up. =) Thanks for the wonderful pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello! LOVE your blanket and the idea of a crochet-along. I realize I am very late to the party, but hope to make one, too. I can't seem to find the first post of this series, though! Has it been removed, or maybe I am just lost.... :) Culd you maybe post a link for me, to get me started? Thank you so much! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello! I've just discovered your lovely little blog, I'm very happy to have found it and met you :)
    I adore this blanket, I've seen a few pics of similar ones on Pinterest and its certainly an idea I'd love to tackle ... you see I have promised each of my kiddos that I'll crochet them a blanket - I must have been crazy when I mentioned it, you know how kids are, they NEVER forget a thing!
    Anyway I'm near to completing my first, it's for my eldest, my boy, its just a simple ripple, I thought that best for a boy ... my other 2 are girls so I have lots of fun, pretty ideas spinning around my head for them :) I think I'm going to do a granny square next, partly because I think I ought to do a granny at some point, isn't it a requirement for any crochet-er?! and partly because I like the idea of its portability, the trouble with stripes is that they get rather large to take out and about! But once i've sated my granny urge, I think I might just turn to this idea for my youngest, it has a fun vibe that I think will suit her cheekiness down to the ground ... and now that I've found you I know where to come for advice and ideas :)
    Thank you ... and sorry about my ramblings! Em xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am so happy that you still have this post up because I always wanted to make a strippy blanket. Yours is just gorgeous.
    I copied the instructions and hope to start soon had to finish two other blankets. .
    Can you tell me if you must have a certain amount of stitches when you start?
    Thanks for the insiration.
    Happy crocheting,
    Yoka

    ReplyDelete
  32. Can you explain how to do thelastrow of chevron to make it flat on the top so I can start the next row. I tried to figure it out but couldn't. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to add your comment, I love to receive comments and read them all, even if I don't get around to responding to you, I am just not that organised!