Saturday, January 22, 2011

summer chicken soup.....


Hi there, how is your weekend going? We are having a good one so far , the boys are all occupied and busy and I'm getting to finish some little hooky projects, happy days!



Now......remember these lovely vegies from my garden? Well, I thought I'd share with you a recipe that I love, and how I used the spring onions and yellow zucchinis.
I call it Summer Chicken Soup, just cause it's Summer here now and the vegies are Summer harvest ones, but it is delicious any time of the year really, and I thought all you poor Northern Hemisphere ladies freezing through Winter might like a lovely warming soup to try! I really love soup and will eat it at any time of the year!
I also have a bit of a sweet corn glut at the moment so I am using a fair bit in this soup but you can used tinned corn just as well.

So here is the recipe......


SUMMER CHICKEN SOUP


4 skinless chicken thigh fillets
1 bunch spring onions, white parts chopped/sliced
2 zucchinis, yellow or green, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
4 cobs of corn, or tin of creamed corn
1 tbsp crushed ginger
1 tbsp low salt soy sauce
chicken stock (around 2-3 litres or 2-3 tsp powdered stock)
chopped parsley

Put chicken, spring onions, zucchinis and celery into soup pot and add chicken stock to cover. Bring to the boil then simmer for around 1 hour.
While this is simmering cook corn cobs in another pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes. drain and let cool, then cut off corn kernels and put aside.
(if you are using tinned corn don't worry about this step!)
After 1 hour is up, add corn, ginger, and soy sauce and simmer for further 30 minutes.
Remove chicken fillets from pot and chop up ( they should kind of shred up easily), add back to soup.
Taste for seasoning, and add salt and pepper as required. Add parsley and turn off heat.
Serve with a little chopped parsley or coriander or chopped spring onion on top.
If you like a thicker soup, you can add a tbsp or 2 of corn flour to a little water and mix in while it is simmering towards the end of the cooking time.

Eat up and enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

On a different subject, I wanted to tell you about a great idea to help all the people affected by the floods here in Australia,
the amazingly talented Sarah London has come up with the
Crochet a Rainbow appeal and is asking for crocheted granny squares to be made into blankets for those who have lost everything in the floods.

It is a small way of bringing a bit of sunshine into their lives at a pretty dark time, and is a great way for someone (like me!) to show that we care and are thinking about our flood affected countrymen and women.

So check it out if you want to help, Sarah is taking sign up on her blog here.

1 comment:

  1. Haaa! Love the soup :) I'll keep the recipe for 6 months time, when it will be summer here in Ireland ;) Just wanted to say that I found out ur blog and I'm in LoVe!! Thanks for all the beautifull projects and inspiration!
    Lots of Love, cata***

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to add your comment, I love to receive comments and read them all, even if I don't get around to responding to you, I am just not that organised!