Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Yarn Along : new crochet book



Hello, how's your week going? 

I thought I'd show you a book I picked up on the weekend for Yarn Along today, it is called 
'500 Crochet Blocks'  by Hannah Elgie and Kath Webber.  I am enjoying looking through the patterns for crochet blocks and different crochet stitches, and have found a few that I'd like to try. 
I think it is a great crochet reference type book.


A cute flower type motif, this is the lay out for each pattern, a good photo and then the pattern in written and diagram form.....


.......crocodile stitch, I have seen this on Pinterest, so it's good to have a pattern to try out, I think it could work as part of a softie, there is an idea brewing here!


......on each pattern page there is a reference to a variations page where several different versions of the patterns are explored, a nice idea, and a good way to see how creative crochet can be, the main patterns are used as a starting point and then you can see how you can change bits and pieces for different effects.


.......I like this diamond pattern.  I have been fiddling around trying to make a nice diamond shape for a while, so I am very happy to find one all figured out for me already!
This is only a small book, but it packs a lot into it's pages!


Which leads me to what I have been working on this week,  granny squares and stripy diamonds! 
 I have a few ideas for these diamonds, I'll have to see how I feel when I've made a few more.
( Oh, and I also bought the 'new' Country Living this week, Feb edition, we are so behind out here! Lots of nice eye candy in this one, some beautiful shades of green in the decorating, right up my alley!)


So what have you been reading and making this week?

I'm joining in with Ginny and her Yarn Along today.

15 comments:

  1. Makes me so want to begin a new granny's square project. Tonight is the night.

    Want to participate in a giveaway? Tonight is closing night:

    http://homeiswherethedachshundis.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous book might have to have a look out for this one ....Brigitte started one on Sat night so am a bit ahead of you :) but I am notoriously slow lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous book!! That has got to be a must have! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful book, and you are already putting it to work. Your diamonds are very pretty. I agree that sometimes it's hard to figure out a pattern on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice book! I'll have to check into that one! I'm always on the lookout for new crochet books. I recently learned the crocodile stitch. It looks hard, but it's not. And it looks really nice finished. I made a small bag for my daughter to carry her leappad in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How thrilling that you bought our little book...and that you like it! Particularly chuffed that you've picked out some of my very favourite from the 500 too- I love those coasters and diamonds! I've made a cushion in the diamonds, I was thinking about an owl with the crocodile stitch. Happy hooking! Kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been making these which has been great fun. Jo x

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/zippy.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this book and wondered whether to buy this as sometimes I get a bit disappointed with the instructions. Thanks for your thoughts on this one and it will now be on my wish list. Take care. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great book! wow, such wonderful stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful tiny diamonds (girl,s best friends, anyway!)!!!!
    I have the same book and I love it, too!!!
    xxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  11. The little diamonds are sweet. Looking forward to seeing your idea come together.
    Sounds like a good book.
    Enjoy your magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That book looks awesome, I think I need to add it to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The diamonds are so nice and I can imagine them making a beautiful blanket. I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really don't NEED another crochet book, but I do WANT this book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love diamonds, to knit or crochet : -) Something else for the list!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to add your comment, I love to receive comments and read them all, even if I don't get around to responding to you, I am just not that organised!